Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Wonder Woman

If we all had superpowers, something small, like the ability to detect the location of lost pairs of reading glasses in a single glance, the world would surely be a better, happier place.
I can't honestly say I have any such ability as I'm barely able to detect whether I've got my contacts in or not at any given moment, however I am surviving.
But some days, I am Wonder Woman, not because of any superpower, but because I wonder about a good many things:

I wonder if I'm ever going to be 'not tired' again.

I wonder if I'm doing the right thing by balancing Grampa George's salt intake via smaller portions on his plate that have a bit of salt in them rather than cooking with no salt at all and having him miserable.

I wonder if I'm being devious when I tell Nana that it was her doctor who arranged for a PSW to visit every day to make sure she doesn't fall again, because Nana still resents and denies that she needs help with everything.

I wonder if Grampa George knows I know that he's been sneaking forbidden pickles and undiluted cans of juice concentrate from the refrigerator.

I wonder if I did the right thing by hiding Nana's scale under her bed so that she'll stop trying to weigh herself, by herself, with no one helping her balance on the little six by six inch surface that barely accommodates her eight by eight inch crippled and arthritic feet, especially since she can never figure out how to turn it on seeing as it's digital.

And I wonder if my stove will get condemned if anyone notices I haven't cleaned it in weeks.

Better get right on that!

No comments:

Post a Comment